Am I the only one who finds these slightly creepy?
Just for fun, we decided to do a couple of easy experiments with dried Lima beans. All you need is a bag of Lima beans, some paper towels and a few empty jars.
First we soaked some beans in water overnight. Look at the difference in size once they have absorbed the water!
We opened a few of the pre-soaked seeds. You can see the seed coat pulled away and the plant embryo inside. It was interesting to think that this life was dormant inside the seed until it got a little bit of water.
(If school was "in session" at the moment, we might have done a notebooking page or a diagram or something but we're on break so we just talked about the parts of a seed. We may follow up with a more formal study later.)
Then we sprouted some in damp paper towels. This one has really cool roots!
The difference between pre-soaked seeds and dry seeds is remarkable. The seed below was sprouted dry, and I took the photo the same day as the creepy alien seeds above! So soaking them first really gives them a head start.
And here they are side-by-side today (day 5.) Looks like it's time to give the pre-soaked beans some soil!
Just linked up with Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom! Take a look at the great entries over there!