Friday, September 2, 2011

I Never Saw a Purple Frog

So, this morning I came into the kitchen to find Super already using my laptop at the kitchen table. My kids are not supposed to use the computer before school, but before I could remind her of this, she said:

"Hey, Mom! Come look at this!"

"It's a purple frog! Did you even know there were purple frogs?"


Nope, I didn't! So how did she find out about purple frogs? From our Learning Calendar! This year's calendar looks like this:



It's published by Fat Brain Toys, and I think I paid about fifteen dollars for it back in January. Here's a sample:




Here is what the calendar looks like on the wall. Every date has an interesting bit of science, history or geography information, and each month has a craft or other activity.



We've never done the monthly activities, but we all enjoy reading the fascinating facts on the calendar. And this isn't the first time one of my kids has decided to do some research based on something they read on the calendar. I love it anytime something inspires them to seek out more information on their own.

Super now knows lots of facts about the purple frog! That's why The Learning Calendar is my...

Favorite Resource This Week

5 comments:

Susan said...

Very cool!! Thanks for linking :)

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I love that they were researching the frog themselves. Awesome!

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

frrreaky frog, love the calender

Amy Dingmann said...

My son was standing behind me when this post came up and he said "What the heck is that!!" What a cool looking frog! Now we might have to invest in that calendar as well. Does the theme change every year?

Sparklee said...

I don't know if the theme changes--this was our first one! They must be coming out pretty soon though--the new year is right around the corner!