Monday, September 28, 2009

More School?



Check out this link, if you haven't seen it already.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_more_school

I predict higher dropout rates. We don't need more school hours or days--we need more effective school hours and days. We need more teachers, so each class has a manageable number of students (no one can give 24 kids individualized attention, not even SuperTeacher!) We need lessons that reach kids with all learning styles. And we need to stop preparing kids to take tests and start preparing them to have full, rich lives and a lifelong love of learning.

Supersim and Dudeman ask us each morning, "So, what are we talking about today?" It makes me so happy to hear the excitement in their voices. They don't dread going to school anymore. (Well, OK, they don't exactly jump for joy when we work on mulitplication tables, but they do focus and get through them because they know the next hour will be really fun and interesting.)

I'm so blessed to be able to have this time with my kids. I understand that longer school days would benefit parents with long work days, who need a safe place for their kids in the afternoon. I can't fix society today (it's on my list for next week!) but I can do what I think is best for my family. If I had to send them to school for 8 hours a day, they would go crazy and so would I!

No comments: