Saturday, September 12, 2009

Something about fall...

Yesterday we had one of those perfect early-fall days: that golden, slanted sunlight and just a bit of coolness in the air. I had to go out early in the morning, and I enjoyed seeing the pinkish sky and having the road almost to myself for a while. I was grateful to be enjoying the morning, and my thoughts turned to those who were no longer with us on such a lovely day.

Even before 9/11 happened, fall has always made me feel a bit melancholy and nostalgic. I miss my father, who died in November of 1998. For months after he died, I would think about calling him to chat or ask for advice--and then I would suddenly realize that I could never do that again.

It's so easy to get caught up in the details of everyday life and forget to notice the truly important things, like a beautiful day, the changing of the seasons, or how wonderful your kids are at this age (whatever age they are, they're wonderful!) Something about fall always reminds me to stop and notice the moment and appreciate how blessed we are.

No comments: