Sunday, March 21, 2010

Shakespeare Playbills

I wasn't thrilled to see a foot of fresh snow on our doorstep, but the box of new books nestled in the snow cheered me up! I had ordered some fiction for the kids, including How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell and Five Children and It by Edith Nesbitt. We are two chapters into Five Children and It, and we love it so far!

Super and Dude had expressed some curiosity about Shakespeare, so I ordered Tales from Shakespeare by Tina Packer, and Who Was William Shakespeare? by Celeste Mannis. We looked up some info about the Globe Theater online, and found some great pictures of historic playbills from different eras.

The kids created their own playbills to advertise Twelfth Night.



Super put a dove and a red rose on her playbill.



Dude put a traditional fancy border around his and drew an envelope with a heart-shaped seal.

We're looking forward to reading the stories together. I don't think I've read any Shakespeare play other than Romeo and Juliette, and that was back in high school, so this will be an educational experience for all of us!

No comments: