Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My New Favorite Expression


I just learned something fascinating from fellow homeschooling mom Féepoussiere. Apparently, in France homeschooling is called l'Instruction en Famille or l'IEF. I just love this term!

I've often balked at using the word "homeschooler" because of the negative connotations it can have (you know what I mean, so I'll just leave it at that.) Besides, we aren't always "home" and much of what we do each day does not resemble "school" in the least.

But Family Instruction is a far more accurate and descriptive term. When we take a road trip, we frequently get out the map and trace the route with the kids. We learn as much as we can about the place we're going. We read, play games, and listen to music in the car. We aren't home, and we aren't at school, but we are definitely doing family instruction.

I also like that the term emphasizes the family. Who is doing the instruction? Not just Mom, but the entire family. Since homeschooling is as much a lifestyle as it is an educational choice, it affects and benefits every family member. I learn as much or more from my kids as they learn from me. And after a year of having our kids out of public school and at home with us, I can definitely say that we are closer than ever.

My new job title: family instructor! I love it!

4 comments:

sara said...

I love this title. And I love how you use trips to teach.

Nicole said...

I love this too!

Anonymous said...

I like your title! It's going to be my first year homeschooling and I'm hoping all goes well.
-FringeGirl

H-Mama said...

I've been saying 'home educator', but I like this as well. :)