Monday, August 9, 2010

Our "Classroom"



Not Back to School Blog Hop
What does your workspace look like?

When we decided to homeschool our children, my husband and I agreed that we needed a specific place to do it, or the books, projects and papers would take over the entire house. (Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Keep reading...)

So, we fixed up an underused area in our basement and called it our "classroom." Here is where the kids do a lot of their work...


However, the tables are NEVER that clean! Here is our "library."



And this is the "teacher's desk," although I tend to do most of my planning and record-keeping at our kitchen table, which, frankly, is more pleasant than this corner of the basement.



It's great to have a space just for homeschooling, but we don't spend ALL our time there. In spite of our (naive) plans to keep homeschooling from taking over the whole house, we discovered that frequently changing venues really helps keep the kids' attention. If their interest is waning, I know it's time to take a quick break and transition to a new activity and location.

We almost always start school at the kitchen table because it's just so nice to read and discuss things over breakfast. Then we might move to the sofa in the family room to finish reading and maybe watch a BrainPop movie... Then, if the weather is nice, the kids might take their math to the front porch... On cold, blustery winter mornings, we have been known to stay in bed and read. And when our kitchen and basement flooded earlier this year (see previous post), we did school stuff everywhere from the library to IHOP!

I have to chuckle when I think of worrying about letting homeschooling "take over our whole house." Experience has taught me that homeschooling is a lifestyle--not only does it take over your house, it takes over your whole life! And why shouldn't it? Learning isn't limited to one time or place--it happens over an entire lifetime, and it happens everywhere we go.

Happy homeschooling!

16 comments:

MissMOE said...

Looks like a wonderful space. We also tend to spread out as the day goes on. Thanks for sharing your space.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Changing venues was essential when my kids were younger! They are good now with one school room, but we used to move all over the house.

Sara said...

Looks like a great space, but yeah - it goes everywhere!

Liese4 said...

We got our hammock at Big lots, but they are out of them now. I would rather have a real hammock there, but then when I rearrange the room I'd have to move that too. I agree that we move all over to school, but it's nice to have everything in one location and know where to go to get what you need.

Anonymous said...

Great set up! Lots of books :) Have a great year.

Denise said...

So true, homeschooling is a lifestyle. And all those "homeschooly" things do take over your life. I enjoyed your post.

Sparklee said...

Thanks for the comments, all! Liese, I'll be on the lookout for a hammock similar to yours (the outdoor ones are nice, but they're too big for our space.)

I love homeschooling all over the house--as long as I have a space to hide the junk at the end of the day so the clutter doesn't stress me out!

Eclectic Education said...

I could get into IHOP schooling! lol!! I know what you mean about it taking over the house. My Hubby still doesn't get it. He thinks it's just us. lol!!! Great set up here. Hope you have a wonderful year.

Nicole said...

So true!

You all seem to have such a fun and open approach to exploring and learning!

I love all of your bookshelves- what is it about a wall of books that is so very appealing?!

Sparklee said...

IHOP school was interesting--we got a few curious looks from customers, but the staff got used to us. They know us pretty well at the local restaurants now--we're that family that brings books and math worksheets to lunch!

I agree--a wall of books makes me very happy! I do tend to go overboard when it comes to good books--they're just so hard to resist!

Thanks for visiting!

Debbie said...

I am enjoying blog. I am passing on two blog awards to you. You pick them up at:

http://jimdebandheather.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-fisrt-blog-awards.html

ENJOY!

Sparklee said...

Aaw, really? I'm so honored! Thanks!

Carrie said...

Nice room! We also had a basement room before but it was too dreary..it ended up just being a form of exercise to take stuff back and forth all the time ha ha!

Anna P said...

We had school set up in our basement when we first moved here 4 years ago with a then almost 6yr old, 4.5yr old, 3yr old and 1 yr old and realized VERY quick that was not going to work for us =) So as much as I HATED to do it, we set up school in our diningroom (we have an eat in kitchen) and that has worked perfect for us. I WILL get used to the schooly look of it hopefully before they are ready for college! =) Thanks for sharing your space!

Sparklee said...

Yup--pretty much every room in our house now has "evidence" of homeschooling. I'm even thinking about putting up a word wall in our bathroom this year!

Mary Prather said...

I love your space - nice to have a "home base", even though homeschooling does occur everywhere in your home. Thanks by stopping by my blog the other day - I look forward to following yours!